Sunday, April 11, 2010

Lentil surprise

In my continuing search for lunches that aren't sandwiches, I stumbled across the Hillbilly Housewife's Taco Style Lentils and Rice. I decided to give it a whirl, even though I had yet to find a way to prepare lentils that I liked. They always seemed so bland and blech. But chili powder and cumin definitely aren't bland, and I figured, as cheap as it is, I wouldn't have wasted much if I didn't like it. I did decide to cut the recipe in half, since the whole recipe would make a whole LOT of lunches.

I must admit, I was skeptical. I mean, taco-anything without tomatoes? I was going to toss in some canned diced tomatoes, just on general principles, but then discovered I didn't have any. So I made it as indicated, except I substituted fresh onion and garlic for the powders. I just tossed everything in my rice cooker, reducing the water to the amount specified for my model. Pushed the button, and walked away.

A while later, the rice cooker beeped, and I had this:


Which, admittedly, doesn't look very exciting, but let me tell you, this stuff is good! I like it warmed up with some grated cheese on top, but I imagine it would make a good burrito or taco filling, as the Hillbilly Housewife suggests. This half-recipe makes three lunch-size servings for me of about a cup each. Add a piece of fruit and maybe a cookie, and I've got a lunch that is a very nice change from sandwich monotony.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home