Saturday, January 26, 2008

Worth the wait?

A couple of years ago, I bought a cheap grain mill, since I like freshly ground whole grain flour. I did a little research and bought one that most users liked. The first time I used it, it worked great. The second time, it seized up and I couldn't make that handle turn for nothing. The b/f examined it and said things like "out of round" and "metal galling". I didn't want to try to return it to the manufacturer (in Romania), so the b/f fixed it and it worked again, but it's harder to use than it should be.

Ever since, I have been dreaming of a good grain mill. I researched and read forums and reviews and descriptions of parts and designs. The fates seemed to be in my favor when I received my year-end bonus just after I discovered the mill I wanted was on sale. So, on Dec. 7, I ordered the Retsel Uni-Ark Special.

Since then I have been waiting. Yes, that's right, it's been eight weeks, and I'm still waiting. I started out being very patient, accumulating recipes I wanted to try, checking out local sources for whole grains (it's very hard to buy corn these days; perhaps it's all going into our fuel tanks?). But for the last three or four weeks, I have been increasingly antsy. I was about to just cancel the @#$%! order when, finally, they notified me it had been shipped. My mill was handed over to the P.O. on Wednesday, Jan. 23. Since it is coming Priority Mail, it should arrive today. There was a possibility it would be waiting on my porch when I got home Friday, but no such luck. Which is just as well, since I'm working today, and it would have been very hard to leave it behind after such prolonged anticipation.

So, I'm watching the clock hands crawl around the dial, bouncing in my seat hoping-hoping-hoping when I get home I'll have a new toy to play with quality tool for creating healthful foods. If it's not there, I'll probably just throw a tantrum.



I'm going to hide out until I know it's safe;
she's really getting way too excited about this.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home