Monday, March 13, 2006

Happy birthday to me


Just finished these fingerless mitts (this pair's for me) last night. Today is my birthday, and the weather is supposed to be cold tonight, when the b/f & his father take me out to dinner. How perfect is that?

BTW, it is seriously difficult to take a picture of your own hands. However, here is my best effort at a closeup.


I modified the pattern from one I found in a WWII knitting pattern book. The original was made with sock yarn on two needles. I had a skein of hand dyed Fisherman's Wool that I wanted to use, and I didn't want to seam them up. Here is the resulting pattern. I did a pretty good job of estimating yardage; I had about two yards left from my 110-yard skein.



I'm still knitting mitts for CIC. The blue pair was also made from the WWII pattern, but I made them a little larger and longer than mine. I worked the cuff for three inches before the first decrease. Then I increased in 4 of the K3 ribs about an inch before working the thumb hole. I used some Germantown wool that I bought on eBay a while back; took about 125 yards. The two-tone garter stitch mitts are about 3/4 done; when I finish them, I'll probably pack up everything I have for CIC & ship them off.

I'm paying the price for all my fun in the garden on Saturday; I ache all over. Anyone know where I can score some really good pain meds?

2 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Blogger Ruth said...

Hey Carol--
This pattern looks great! I hope to try it soon.

"must knit faster.....must knit faster......" she mutters to herself. :)

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday. The knitting looks great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home