Friday, February 10, 2006

What's in a name?

I've been knitting away at my Mardi Gras scarf. While admiring it last night, I noticed I made a mistake. Several times. Instead of two garter stitch ridges between each row of dropped stitches, it alternates between 2 and 3. However, I also decided I liked the effect of the mistake, so it is no longer a mistake. Now it is a serendipitous pattern occurrence.

I am at the end of skein #1, so I can now provide the instructions (featuring the serendipitous pattern):
Gauge: 12 stitches (in garter stitch) = 4 inches
Don't fret too much over this; I mean, after all, it's a scarf!
Needles: I used US 13
Yarn: 2 skeins Moda Dea Ticker Tape in Festival
Finished size: Approx. 5 inches wide, up to 70" long (w/o fringe)

Cast on 15 stitches. Knit 4 rows. Begin pattern stitch:
Row 1: *k1, yo; repeat from * to last stitch; k1. You know have 29 stitches on the needle.
Row 2: Knit across, dropping the yarn overs. You are now back to 15 stitches.
Row 3-5: Knit

Repeat pattern until scarf is desired length, or you are nearly out of yarn. Knit 4 rows, bind off. Add fringe if desired (fringe seems appropriate for Mardi Gras, don't you think?)

Fringe: Cut 30 8-inch lengths of yarn. For each fringe, fold one length of yarn in half. Pull the fold through one stitch on the short end of the scarf, making a loop. Thread the ends of the yarn through the loop and pull to tighten. Repeat for each stitch on each end.

Toss it about your neck and go get yourself some beads!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home