Saturday, January 21, 2006

What's that noise?

That would be the sound of me quietly banging my head against the wall. Coupled with some soft sobbing.

My dpn's were flying as I sped though reknitting sock #2, this time with the same size needles as used for sock #1. Zip! Cuff's done! Zip-zip! Leg's done! Zippity-zip! Heel flap's done--time to turn the heel! Grab the instructions...wait a minute...I thought...*&^%$#@! Sock #1 was made with 36 stitches; for sock #2, I cast on 40. Arrrgggghhhhhhhhhhh!

At a gauge of 5 stitches per inch, 4 stitches is a significant difference. If I had enough yarn, I'd just make two pair, as Donna suggested. But I only have enough yarn for one pair. Looks like I'll be ripping this sock yet again. I can't handle it just yet, however. I've cast it aside in disgust and am swatching for a CIC vest that I've been planning for months.

So, for the January sock challenge, I'm sending off 5 pair, plus a hat. Pair #6 will just have to wait. In fact, like a jinxed ship that gets a name change, I am renaming this as Pair #1 for the next challenge. Maybe that will dispel the bad luck. In the meantime, I'll leave you with a pic of the package I will be sending off today:

3 Comments:

At 3:27 PM, Blogger Marguerite said...

Sympathy on the mismatched sock. I have a yellow pair that is going about the same way and I never want to see either of the socks again.

Your sock pairs that behaved themselves are looking cute and warm. The kids are going to love them.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger DJ said...

You have my sympathy, I always knit 2 socks on 2 circs for just this reason. I can't keep anything straight long enough to knit them separately. Even so, I have been known to mess up somewhere along the line and end up with a big boo-boo on just one sock. I usually can't explain it and feel like putting my head in the oven (then I remember that it's not a gas oven lol). You'll do fine now that the pressure is off.
Hugs, DJ

 
At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your socks. The darn things are fun, but when it all goes wrong.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home