Monday, October 09, 2006

Officially Socktoberfest


Now that I've offically joined Socktoberfest 2006, I thought I'd answer Lolly's questionnaire:

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?
Near as I can figure it, it's been two years since I finally picked up the DPN's and learned to knit socks. I referred to a number of books and a few web sites, then practiced on 4 or 5 miniature socks, before I felt ready to take the plunge & make some "real" socks intended for wear.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?
I used some vintage Germantown worsted wool that I scored on eBay. They are wearing great!

What would you have done differently?
The toes have a funny stovepipe look; the instructions said to do a decrease round, then a plain round, until I had X number of stitches left. When I got to that number, I wasn't sure if I should do a plain round again or not, so I did just to be safe. You're not supposed to do that.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?
The ones I've hand-dyed.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?
Knit on DPN's. Although I want to try 2 circs; I just haven't gotten a "round tuit" yet.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)
Flap - definitely.

How many pairs have you made?
Hard to say. I've made 10 pair for myself, 1 pair for the b/f, and uncounted pairs for CIC.

----------------
I wanted to share some pics of the b/f's father's new cat, Peter, but Blogger is being uncooperative. We'll just have to wait for another day. I'll just tell you that Peter is a 5-year-old sweetie; very affectionate, but not terribly conversant with the concept of "play". We're working on teaching him. I guess it's because it's October, but the rhyme keeps going through my head, "Peter, Peter, pumpkin eater!" I doubt that he eats pumpkin, but from the looks of him, he has a hearty appetite. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home