Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Yes, I'm still knitting

Although not as much, now that I work at work, instead of knitting at work. I was very excited last weekend to complete the first decrease round on the yoke of my Weekend Sweater, which meant that I was halfway done with the yoke. Not far to go now!


After snapping that pic, I decided to measure it while it was spread out, just to check. I measured across the chest twice, because the first time I couldn't believe what I was seeing was correct. %#@! It was smaller than it was supposed to be; four inches smaller. Double %#@! How could that happen? While I had the measuring tape handy, I checked my gauge. Instead of the 6 stitches/inch I planned on, it was 6.5. That half a stitch really added up.

Not wanting to believe my measurements, I decided to try it on. While it was wearable, it was a lot closer fitting than I planned. I was going for zero ease across the bust, so four inches of negative ease made for a very snug sweater. The b/f would like it, but it wasn't really the look I was going for. So, I made a tough decision:

I started over. Looks like I won't be wearing my new sweater this season, no matter how slow spring is in getting here.

But my knitting time wasn't wasted; I learned a few things:

1. The body length was just what I wanted; I'll make it the same length again.

2. The sleeves were a little short. I'll lengthen them an inch.

3. I'll check my gauge often, to make sure I'm staying on track!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home