Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Ask and ye shall receive

So, a few days ago, I commented that I wished I could knit socks for the students in the schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan that I was reading about in Greg Mortenson's book, Three Cups of Tea. Lo and behold, what do I receive but an email from Elizabeth (the kind person who sent me this yarn), telling me that Afghans for Afghans is collecting socks to distribute to students in Afghanistan. Plus, she encouraged me to feel free to use some of yarn she sent me for this project.

This sock project is exactly what I was wishing for--warm, handknit socks, hand delivered to students (boys and girls), along with a message of friendship. I've been reading about the cold, poverty, and lack of educational opportunities, especially for girls. It just seems to me that warm socks will be such a tangible, practical symbol of friendship and support that they will do much more than warm some toes. I guess that's the knitter in me coming out.

Since I seem to be receiving what I ask for in this blog, I just want to mention that I'm looking for a new job. If you know anyone in the St. Louis area who needs a top-notch network administrator, please, drop me a line: carol_fuhr AT yahoo DOT com. (I figure it can't hurt to ask).

1 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Hey Carol. I'm glad you're knitting for Afghans. They are a great group and also I think they're a great way to show that we really do care here in the US.

Donna

ps: I changed blog addresses and I don't remember if I gave you the new one. http://awty.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home