Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Multigrain rolls recipe

Debbie asked for my recipe for the rolls I showed off recently. This is just a variation of the b/f's favorite white bread recipe. I made the dough in my bread machine, but it could be done by hand as well.

1/3 c multigrain cereal (I used Bob's Red Mill Organic 6-grain Cereal)
1/2 c boiling water

Pour boiling water over cereal; cover and let sit for about half an hour. Then dump it into the bread machine pan and add the following:

1/2 c milk, warmed (I don't know what temperature it is, I just nuke it for 30 seconds)
1 tbl lemon juice (you can use vinegar if you don't have lemon juice)
3 tbl olive oil (or other oil, or butter)
1 tbl honey (or sugar, but I find honey makes the bread rise just a little higher)
2 2/3 c bread flour (I prefer King Arthur)
1/2 tsp diastalic malt (not absolutely necessary, but it does make the bread a little fluffier)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast

Mix on dough cycle. Of course, watch it the first 5 minutes or so to make sure it is the right consistency. Add a little liquid or flour, if needed, to get it just right. When done, remove from pan and cut dough into 12 equal sections. I pat the dough into a circle, then cut into fourths, then cut each fourth into thirds. Keeps the sizes pretty uniform. Roll each section into a ball, and place on greased cookie sheet about an inch apart.

Now it's time to let the rolls complete their final rise. I have a gas oven with a pilot light, so I put them in there. Since I don't like covering the bread (because sometimes the dough sticks to the covering), I create a moist environment by putting a pie plate on the rack below the pan of rolls, and pouring boiling water into it. Close the oven door, and you have a nice, warm, moist environment for the bread's final rise. If you don't have a pilot light, I'm told that the hot water, plus keeping the oven light on, will also do the trick. But I haven't tried that myself.

When rolls have doubled in size, remove the pan of water, turn the oven on to 325 degrees F, and bake for about 25 minutes. Makes 1 dozen rolls, a good size for sandwiches or hamburgers.

You could also use this recipe to make a loaf of bread; just use the normal cycle instead of the dough cycle. Makes a 1 1/2 lb loaf. I made a loaf last night, part of my ongoing scheme to get the b/f to consume at least a little whole grain.

Hope you enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home