Thursday, May 15, 2008

Playin' hooky

Well, not exactly. I have to work Saturday night, so I'm taking a half-day off today. It wasn't supposed to rain until this afternoon, so I was planning on doing some planting in the garden. However, it's been drizzling all morning, so I decided to bake instead.


Today I made oatmeal muffins. These are a slightly sweet, wholegrain muffin that I like to take in my lunch. They are very tasty with cottage cheese and some fruit. Very easy to make, too:


Whole Wheat Oatmeal Muffins
(makes 12)

1 egg
3/4 c buttermilk
1/3 c brown sugar
1/4 c oil
1 c whole wheat flour (I used freshly ground white wheat)
1 c quick cooking oats
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Heat oven to 400F. Beat together the egg, brown sugar, buttermilk and oil. Stir in remaining ingredients, just until moistened.

Pour into lined muffin tin or silicone muffin cups; fill about 2/3 full. Bake about 20 minutes, until slightly browned. Cool on rack; remove muffins from tin (if you used one) when you can without burning yourself; finish cooling on rack.

Makes a nice mid-morning snack, too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home