Friday, August 26, 2005

CIC Socks

I completed 3 pairs of socks for the CIC Challenge (plus a bonus hat).

First pair (the one in the middle) was made using the pattern from Countrywool; I was unhappy with the hole that forms where the heel meets the instep. Big hole with a matching one on the opposite side; I could see clear through the socks.

I did the second pair (on the right) w/o a pattern, pretty much following the Harlot's method for a short-row heel (skipping the ripping out & redoing part). I like these better; there is still a stretched stitch at the heel/instep junction, but it's not so bad.

Heel of 3rd pair (on the left, natch) was based on Pricilla's Dream Socks from Interweave Knits. One side (I think it was the left side) had a stretched stitch at the heel/instep junction. Some people say that the stretched stitch evens out after a couple of wearings/washings.

One thing about Priscilla's Dream heels that bugs me: the stitches don't look the same on both sides. Here's a closeup:


On the left image, notice the vertical elongated stitch? Now, look at the right image; a horizontal elongated stitch. Arrrrrgggghhhhhh...my obsessive/compulsive disorder just cannot accept this.

So, my search for a perfect short-row heel continues. Feel free to join me in my madness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home