Tuesday, May 16, 2006

No longer heartsick

That pile of brush is the better part of a sparrow's nest we found inside the grill--after we turned it on. I noticed some sparrows hanging around the grill lately, and figured they must have a nest in a nearby tree. Uh, a little closer, actually. The parents fled without us noticing, but the eggs inside were roasted before we discovered the nest's presence.

I've been miserable, imagining the sparrows congratulating themselves on finding such a secure location to raise a family, as storm after storm blew through over the last couple of weeks, only to be rousted from their home by a terrible conflagration.

Today, I read Marguerite's blog, and learned something new about house sparrows. I had no idea they were so destructive. I have largely (although not entirely) gotten over the loss of the sparrows, especially since I saw a bluebird in the backyard yesterday. First time I've ever seen one.

I really hope nothing else tries to nest in the grill, tho'. There's something forlorn about parentless eggs.

2 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, Blogger Marguerite said...

Hummmm. I never thought about roasting the sparrow eggs. LOL

Just to set the record straight, there are many native sparrows that a sweet, shy birds. They protected by law and usually nest close to the ground.

It's only the English Sparrow, also called the House Sparrow, that is not native and not protected. People who monitor Bluebird trails are constantly finding new ways to get rid of them. Once you've seen them behead a Bluebid, it's not difficult to hate them.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Carol Ann said...

That's good to know. These were definitely house sparrows; I saw them hanging around the grill, and the eggs matched the description in Wikipedia. Come to think of it, I think house sparrows are the only ones I've ever seen. We have a lot of them around here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home