Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Successful experiment

Today I finally got around to trying out an idea I had a while back, combining (boring) expercise with (fun) knitting.

I try to go for walks on a regular basis, but I really hate walking when I don't have a destination. When I worked downtown, I usually picked a lunch place that was a nice distance away. But now that I work out of my home, the only thing within walking distance is more homes. Boooooooooring.

Today I grabbed a fanny pack, some 16" circs, and a ball of yarn, and headed out the door. I chose a route that wouldn't put me near much traffic, and a project that didn't require much attention (stocking hat). By the time I finished casting on (which I had to do twice, since I didn't give myself enough tail the first time), I had walked farther than I usually do, and it seemed like I had just left. Definitely an improvement over my usual experience!

OK, casting on while walking wasn't the easiest thing in the world, since the tail was rather long to start out. So, from now on, I'll do my casting on @ home. But knitting sure does make walking more tolerable! I wonder if the folks along my route will start to talk about the peripatetic knitter?

1 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Ev said...

It worked? I'll have to keep that in mind when I go for a walk next time. Sounds like a good way to turn something boring into something productive and much more fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home