Friday, July 06, 2007

Still recovering

We had a fabulous 4th, from which I am still recovering.

The b/f's father is an amateur pyrotechnician, so we had lots-n-lots of fabulous fireworks. Unfortunately, it's not legal to set off fireworks where we live. Fortunately, a friend of the b/f lives where it is still legal, so he invited all three of us--the b/f, his father, and me--over. Hooray!

The drive to the friend's house takes about an hour; double hooray! Knitting time! I took my GBF socks along for the ride. Right now, they are the only things I have on the needles; I love the yarn so much that I haven't wanted to work on anything else. The Panda Wool is so silky-soft, I'm eager to finish the socks so I can wear 'em! Unfortunately, about 20 minutes into the drive, there was a little bump in the road, and I dropped a stitch. A stitch that was bordered by yarnovers. Arrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh! I had to put my knitting aside for the rest of the drive since I knew I would need magnification and a steady hand to fix it.

In spite of this knitting setback, we had a great time. In addition to fireworks, the b/f took his spud gun, which is always a lot of fun for the kids. Nothing beats shooting potatoes at a piece of plywood and watching mashed potatoes spray in every direction!

The fireworks were beautiful, and the weather was perfect--rain in the morning (to reduce any fire hazard), but clear skies thereafter. Everyone was duly impressed by the pyrotechnics, and the b/f's father got to hear everyone's oooohs and ahhhhs. We dragged our tired selves home quite late, washed off the grime (lighting fireworks is a dirty job), and fell into bed.

Thursday, I slept late, woke refreshed, and ate a delicious breakfast prepared by the b/f. Thus fortified, I tackled my dropped stitch problem. Convinced I had it fixed, I knit a couple more rounds and set it aside for the day. The b/f and I went target shooting; a thoroughly grimy and fun-filled afternoon. Came home, cleaned up, ate dinner, then plopped my tired self down on the couch for some quality knitting time. Knit a couple more rounds before I realized &^%$#@! I hadn't fixed the dropped stitch problem after all. I had the correct number of stitches, but holey-moley, it looked bad. The area where I had "fixed" it had these huge honkin' holes about three times bigger than the holes that were supposed to be there. There was much muttering as I tinked back 5 rounds, back to the round before the problem area, so I could knit it over, without any bumps to bounce stitches off my needle. Then I soothed myself with an hour of knitting while watching an episode of Stargate SG-1.

I feel much better now.



Post a Comment

<< Home