Tuesday, September 11, 2007

What I did on my summer vacation, Part 1

We're home again from our lovely vacation. I had every intention of blogging while we were gone, but in the mornings I was eager to get to our destination for the day, and in the evenings, I was wiped out! So much for intentions...

We elected to drive to California (rather than fly) because the b/f wanted to drive his special car on the Californa freeways. So, the better part of two days was spent reaching our destination.

First we visited friends of the b/f in Rosamond, CA for a couple of days. Did a little visiting, a little target shooting, and quite a bit of eating. We saw smoke from forest fires coming over the mountains, and fine ash drifted down on everything. Did I have my camera handy when I could see those smoke clouds? Of course not.

I did snap a pic of the sign at our motel, which I found absurdly amusing:


How old d'you suppose that sign is? I mean, how long has it been since it was considered necessary to advertise the presence of a television at a motel? Anyway, I'm sure this sign will be coming down soon. The place is now a Days Inn; this is how it will look soon. They did a pretty good job of photoshopping the sign in the web site's photo because, trust me, right now it is proudly proclaiming the presence of TV.

There was one little feature of the motel that, oddly enough, isn't mentioned on the corporate site. This is the view when standing in front of the door to our room:


Yes, those are railcars. Right across the street were some very busy train tracks. Although, I must admit, the trains didn't keep me awake at all. Like I said, by the end of each day, I was wiped out.

After two days in the hot, dry desert, I was seriously ready for the coast! So, after a little more visiting Tuesday a.m., we hopped in the car and headed out for my favorite place in the world: Newport Beach!


I'm always so happy when the trees start to look like this.

Stay tuned for our next installment: Summer Vacation, Part 2.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home